Rensselaerville District Schools
History of the District Schools
Most of the early histories of District schools in the Town of Rensselaerville are lost in their years. They were, for the most part, simple one room structures sometimes with a seperate "necessary building" School #16 in the hamlet of Rensselaerville and School #14 in Preston Hollow were the only multi room buildings. Common school education began in 1795 with the State Legislature voting 1590 pounds to be divided among the several towns in Albany County..
The commissioner of schools numbered the district schools when established. When districts were joined, centralized or closed it was the commissioners duty to make sure there were no two districts numbered the same. However, numbers on old maps were not changed and thus some duplicating occurred like the "Peasley School" was listed and was also numbered Berne School No. 3 and Rensselaerville District School No. 23. It was also known at one time as #27.
- 1818 - There were 26 schools in the town of Rensselaerville 15 of which reported to the Superintendent of Common Schools
- 1820 - Preston's Statistical Report of the County for Rensselaerville stated there were 18 common schools.
- 1824 - Spafford's Gazetteer listed 18 schoolhouses in Rensselaervillle.
- 1829 - Spafford's Gazetteer listed Rensselaerville with 19 school districts with an attendance of 1061 children between 5 and 16.
- 1836 - Spafford's Gazetteer listed Rensselaerville with 21 school districts.
- 1854 - Spafford's Gazetteer listed Rensselaerville with 18 school districts.
- 1862 - Commissioner George L. Bouton reported 18 districts with 18 teachers.
- 1870-71 - Commissioner George L. Bouton again reported 18 districts with 18 teachers.
Rensselaerville District Schools
- District No. 1 - Near Triangle Lake, a joint school with Greene County.
- District No. 2 - On Pond Hill Rd near Bryan Rd.
- District No. 3 - At Smiths Corners, also a No.3 at Fox Creek Rd. and Sayre Rd. Known as Sayre District School.
- District No. 4 - Corner of Main St. and North Rd. in Medusa
- District No. 5 - On Fish Rd near Oak Hill, Greene County.
- District No. 6 - On Hauverville Rd. (Delaware Turnpike).
- District No. 7 - On Cooley Rd.
- District No. 8 - In hamlet of Rensselaerville and also a joint school with Schoharie County
- District No. 9 - Located in Cooksburg.
- District No. 10 - Located in Rensselaerville and Conesville.
- District No. 11 - On Cheese Hill Rd near Preston Hollow.
- District No. 12 - On Teeter Hill off Kenyon Rd. in Preston Hollow
- District No. 13 - On Town Line Rd above Stabergs Corners and in Peckham Hollow.
- District No. 14 - Located in Preston Hollow.
- District No. 15 - A joint district with the schoolhouse located in Greene County.
- District No. 16 - Located in the hamlet of Rensselaerville
- District No. 17 - On Route 145 near Schoharie County.
- District No. 18 - Joint district with Schoharie County.
- District No. 19 - Located in Potter Hollow.
- District No. 20 - Located on Gifford Hollow Rd.
- District No. 21 - Located on West Mountain.
- District No. 22 -
- District No. 23 - Located on West Mountain.
- District No. 24 - On Fox Creek Rd in Preston Hollow
- People Made It Happen Here, History of the Town of Rensselaerville ca. 1788-1950, Published 1977