Hamlets and Communities

From Berne, NY - a Helderberg Hilltown
Jump to: navigation, search
Back to Berne

Visit Hamlets and Communities for a listing of all hamlets in the Hilltowns.

Hamlets in Berne

  • The hamlet of Berne - the largest hamlet in the town, is located at the intersection of New York State Route 443 and New York State Route 156. Before the Post Office was located here in the latter half of the 19th century it was called "Bernville." In the 19th and first half of the 20th century it had a number of stores, up to three hotels, several blacksmith shops, a funeral home, cabinet makers, harness makers, etc.; now it almost entirely residential. The Town Hall is located here in a former hotel. The same building houses the Berne Public Library. Upstairs is the Berne Museum with "ten rooms of history" operated by the Berne Historical Society. The Post Office is next door. The Berne-Knox-Westerlo Central School is at the west end of the hamlet. Here is a "report card" on the elementary and Junior-Senior High Schools.
  • East Berne - a hamlet a few miles east of the hamlet of Berne has a gas station, a couple of restaurants, and a hardware store.
  • Huntersland - a hamlet in the southwest part of the town, was formed circa 1797.
  • Reidsville - a hamlet in the southeast part of the town bordering Westerlo.
  • South Berne - a hamlet near the south town line bordering Westerlo.
  • Thompsons Lake - a small community in the northeast part of the town, south of Thompsons Lake.
  • Warners Lake - the lake and surrounding community in the north central part of the town near East Berne.
  • West Berne - a small hamlet in the northwest corner of the Town near the west town line with Knox and the county line with Schoharie.
  • West Mountain - refers to the highlands in the southwest quadrant of the town.