Tell the story of each historic home, when it was built, who lived there, additions, remodeling
Historic buildings and sites
Historic buildings, (other than public buildings and those listed under "Visitor facilities"), may not be open to the public, and may just be viewed from the road. Please respect the privacy of the owners and occupants.
- Helderberg Grange - dates from the 19th Century. Until 1930 this was an open carriage shed on the first level and a community hall above. Now abandoned, it is on private property.
- Knox School District No. 5 - dating from the 1890's was recently restored by Kiwanis; it is the only building in Knox thus far to earn a place on national historic register. Reached by a short trail from near the entrance of the The Emma Treadwell Thacher Nature Center.
- Methodist Church of Township - erected in 1851 and now abandoned. It is just across the street from what was school district number 2; converted to a Knox firehouse in 1966.
- Knox School District No. 2 - started around 1866 with around 59 school aged children. The school was closed about 1932 and remained empty until Knox Volunteer Fire Department bought it and converted it in 1966.
- Lee's Church - on Knox Cave Road. Said to have been either Presbyterian or Baptist denomination. Closed in the 1920's. It is now a private home.
- Knox Highway Department Town Garage - dates from the 19th Century.
- Saddlemire Homestead - now a museum operated by the Knox Historical Society, Main St., hamlet of Knox.
- Wayside Tavern - was once a tea house. Rte. 157.
- Knox Reformed Church - over 150 years old. Rte. 156 hamlet of Knox.
- Stevens Gas Station - was in an historic building that had at the turn of the 20th C. been a Blacksmith shop, Berne Altamont Rd. hamlet of Knox, Knox. No longer in operation.