Probably local one room school.
He was a farmer.
Marriage & Children
He married Catherine E. Haverly May 6, 1826 at the Berne Reformed Church in Berne NY. The couple had eleven children:
- Catherine Elizabeth Kniskern-1827-married William Turner
- William Haverly Kniskern - 1829
- Mary Esther Kniskern - 1831
- Sarah Matilda Kniskern - 1833 - married Richard Turner
- John Calvin Kniskern - 1835
- Alban Kniskern - 1838
- Harrison Kniskern - 1840
- George Kniskern - 1842
- Estaloce Kniskern - 1844 - married Ira Wolford
- Charlotte Ophelia Kniskern - 1846, married Jerome W. Ecker
- Jacob Kniskern - 1850.
Jacob was a godly man and a regular attender of the old Berne-Beaverdam wood frame church located in the present day Berne Beaverdam Cemetery. When the church was torn down, Jacob bought the land where the church had stood and arranged to have his grave placed where the pulpit had been. He was listed as one of the elders of the church who erected the Dutch Reformed Church in Berne around 1830.
Jacob died May 31, 1890 in Knox, and was buried where he had planned.
- Landmarks of Albany County, NY, Edited by Amasa J. Parker, Albany, NY
Family, Census, "200 Years of Church Discipleship" by Reverand John H. Meyer, "Some of the Descendants of Johan Peter Kniskern" by Walter Hamlin Kniskern.