From Westerlo, NY - a Helderberg Hilltown
Jump to navigation Jump to search


Chesterville is the former name of the present hamlet of Westerlo.


Philip Myers, a German boy arrived in Chesterville before the Revolution at nine years of age. His father disembarked in 1753 at a river landing now known as New Baltimore. Philip was left with Andreas Whitbeck while his father returned to Germany for the rest of the family however he never came back. Whitbeck raised Philip for ten years and Philip ventured off at age nineteen to the presesnt village of Westerlo where he built a log house. A few more settlers arrived and then the Revolution turned brother against brother and neighbors against neighbors. Toryism became so rampant that Philip took his wife, a daughter of Nicholas Stoddard, and family to Dutchess County for the duration of the war.[1]

Early Settlers

Early settlers included former Revolutionary Soldiers Isaac Winston and Adam Snyder. In 1795, Jacob Ford settled in the area north of Westerlo still known as Ford's Corners. Messers, Grant and Easie, early makers of potash, established their place of business in 1798. They later sold out to Moses Smith, one of three brothers to settle in the Westerlo area and who became a prosperous merchant. Another early arrival was by Andrew Hannay, a Scotchman, who arrived about the time of the Revolution. Elisha Atkins and Nathanial Manning were also early settlers and neighbors of Adam Snyder in the 1790's.[1]


In the northeast section of town there were three churches: the Baptist, founded in 1800, the Presbyterian located at Van Leuvan's corners about two miles west of the village, and the Dutch Reformed Church build just above Tan Hollow in the present hamlet of Dormansville. The Presbyterian and Dutch Reformed merged in the 1830's and built the present Dutch Reformed church in the village in 1832. The first Baptist church building was built on the western outskirts of the village where the road turns south to Medusa. The building was moved in 1853 to it present location and expanded.[1]



Hotels and Taverns


One of the earliest best known mills was that of Lobdell and Baker, erected in 1795 about a mile south of the village. In 1812 a Mr. Jenks built a carding mill just below the village on Basic Creek, which was later modified into a grist mill.[1]



See Westerlo page for cemetery listings.

Photo Gallery

This section is for scenic photos and post cards of the hamlet. Photos of people and families should be posted on biography or family pages.


  1. 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 Town of Westerlo Then and Now, Bicentennial Booklet, 1976