The Battle of Spotsylvania Court House, commonly referred to as the Battle of Spotsylvania or Po River, was fought from May 8, 1864 to May 21, 1864.
The most intense fighting took place on May 12, 1864 at a place later called the “Bloody Angle”, a section of the area just north of the courthouse building. The combat there took place there for nearly 23 hours without a break.
On 19 May 1864 Confederate forces attacked Brig. Gen. Robert O. Tyler's heavy artillery division, which included the NY 7th Heavy Artillery, on the Union right flank near the Harris farm. Newly arrived from the forts protecting Washington, D.C., the inexperienced heavy artillery battalions fought as infantry and stubbornly held their ground despite their heavy casualties and were successful. The Confederates withdrew, thus ending the last major engagement of the Battle of Spotsylvania. The Confederates suffered 900 casualties at the Harris farm, the Union about 1,500.