Jump to navigation Jump to search
General historic references for the Hilltowns:
- 1869 Harper's New Monthly Magazine - The Helderbergs - 16 page article
- History of the County of Albany - 1886 -George Rogers Howell and Jonathan Tenney
- Landmarks of Albany County, New York - 1897 - Amasa Junius Parker
- Altamont Enterprise
- Settlement above the Helderberg Escarpment
- Tin Horns and Calico
- Berne and Knox, Our German Heritage
- Berne and Knox, Early Families through 1787
General History Topics
New York state laws regarding Negro Slavery.
- The emancipation of slaves by the Quakers was legalized in 1798. At that date there were still about 33,000 slaves in the state.
- On March 29, 1799, an act was passed for the gradual abolition of slavery in New York. Any child
born of a slave after July 4th was to be free at the age of 25 if a girl and 28 if a boy.
- In 1817 an act was passed providing for the emancipation of all slaves in 1827 — 36 years before National Emancipation.
- Altamont Enterprise, 8 May 1953