Peter Wolford was born September 23, 1838 to Jacob Wolford (B. Dec 15, 1798, D. Mar 5, 1888) and his wife Katherine Loucks (B. July 21, 1800, D. July 31, 1872). He was one of three known children.
Marriage & Children
- Dewitt C. Wolford (B. Feb 1865)
- William A. Wolford (B. abt 1872)
- Carrie Wolford (B. abt 1873, D. after 1931 Schenectady)
|Enlistment Date:||4 Nov 1862 or Oct 1862|
|Enlistment Place:||Albany, New York |
|State Served:||New York|
|Promoted on:||1 May 1863|
|Muster Out Date:||10 Sep 1863 |
|Muster Out Place:||Albany, NY|
|Additional Remarks: Enlisted at the age of 21|
|Sources Used:Ancestry.com, American Civil War Soldiers; 1890 US Veterans Census, Berne, Albany Co, NY; Civil War Pension Index, www.ancestry.com, Annual Report of the Adjutant General for the State of New York|
In 1870, Peter Wolford was a farm laborer living in East Berne with his wife, young son and his parents. In the next decade, Peter's mother Katherine died and his family grew by two additional children. Peter, his family and elderly father were recorded in the 1880 Census living in Berne where Peter worked as a farm laborer. In the spring of 1885, Peter sold his property in Berne to C. E. Blade, who might have been a relative of his wife Parthenia, for $50. In 1890 Peter was living in West Berne where he was recorded in the 1890 US Veterans Census and from where he filed for his Civil War Pension. While living in Berne, Peter was active in the Charles McCulloch Post 645 GAR and held the office of "Officer of the Guard". By 1900, Peter, his wife and youngest daughter were living in Knox where Peter was a bread peddler and Carrie was a stitcher. Peter's wife Parthenia died on April 24, 1903 and she was buried at the Beaverdam Cemetery in Berne. Sometime after her death, Peter moved to Schoharie where his sons Dewitt C. Wolford and William A. Wolford were living with their wives and children.
Peter Wolford died on September 18, 1916 and was buried with his wife at the Beaverdam Cemetery in Berne.
Additional Research Notes
- 1870 US Census, Berne, Albany Co, NY
- 1880 US Census, Berne, Albany Co, NY
- Annual Report of the Adjutant General of the State of New York
- 1890 US Veterans Census, Berne, Albany Co, NY
- Civil War Pension Index, www.ancestry.com
- Knowersville Enterprise May 2, 1885
- Berne column, Altamont Enterprise Dec 16, 1892.
- 1900 US Census, Westerlo, Albany Co, NY
- 1910 US Census, Schoharie Co, NY