Gifford, George Delos
George Delos Gifford was born December 13, 1847. He was the son of James Gifford (B. abt 1803, D. after June 1, 1880) and Sarah Maria Slawson (B. abt 1815, D. after June 1, 1905). He was the oldest of seven children however since his father had been married previously, he also had four half siblings.
Marriage & Children
At about 1870, George married Jane____ who was born at about 1844. They had a daughter, Nellie J. Gifford, who was born at about 1871.
In 1880 George was working as an engineer of the railroad.
|Name:||George Delos Gifford|
|Place of Birth:||Berne, NY |
|Date of Birth:||Dec_, 1847|
|Names of Parents:||James (Gifford) and Sarah Slawson|
|Term of Enlistment:||3 years |
|Enlistment Date:||1 Mar 1865|
|Enlistment Place:||Albany, NY|
|State Served:||New York|
|Regiment:||13th Heavy Artillery or 1st Light Artillery|
|Muster Out Date:||16 Jun 1865 |
|Muster Out Place:||Elmira, NY|
|Additional Remarks: Enlisted at the age of 17
Born in Berne, NY, Age 17, Farmer, Blue eyes, Brown hair, Fair complexion, 5'4" tall.
|Sources Used: Ancestry.com, American Civil War Soldiers; 1865 census Berne, Albany Co., NY; Howell, George Rogers, History of the County of Albany, NY from 1609-1886, W. W. Munsell & Co., 1886, page 817; Town and City Registers of Men Who Served in the Civil War, Annual Report of the Adjutant General of the State of New York.|
George died on March 25, 1929, at Rochester, NY aged 81-2-27. His burial took place in the Veteran's section of the Riverside Cemetery at Rochester, Monroe Co., NY
Additional Research Notes
- Howell, George Rogers, History of the County of Albany, NY from 1609-1886, W. W. Munsell & Co., 1886, page 817
- Town and City Registers of Men Who Served in the Civil War
- 1880 Census, Rochester, Monroe County, New York
- Ancestry Military Databases
- Annual Report of the Adjutant General or the State of New York
- NY Civil War Muster Roll Abstracts, Ancestry.com Military databases
- Monroe County, NY GenWeb, http://mcnygenealogy.com/cem/vets-riverside-p.htm