Allen Durant was born on May 10, 1757 in Newton, Middlesex Co., MA, a son of Edward Durant and Mary Allen.
In April of 1775 he enlisted at Newton, MA and served as a private for 6 days under Captain Cook’s Company of Colonel Gardner’s Massachusetts Regiment. He also served several other short tours in 1775. He enlisted on January 1, 1776 and served as a private in Captain Cook’s Company, Colonel Bond’s Massachusetts Regiment and was discharged on October 1, 1776. He served under Elisha Avery, Deputy Commissary General until after the surrender of Burgoyne and was then attached to the clothier’s department under George Mason, Deputy Clothier General until April or May of 1778, a year and 4 months in all.
Marriage & Children
On February 25, 1793 at Spencertown, NY he married Parthenia Holdridge who was born on June 6, 1767 at Colchester, CT. Their children:
- Maria Durant born March 21, 1794, died May 7, 1794
- Maria Durant born December 27, 1794
- Benjamin Franklin Durant born December 19, 1796, died March 14, 1798
- Parthenia Durant born July 28, 1798
- Benjamin Franklin Durant born August 14, 1800
- George Washington Durant born July 3, 1802
- Julia Durant born May 31, 1804
- Edward Allen Durant born August 15, 1807
- Augustus Holdridge Durant born July 12, and died July 17 unknown year.
Allen died on February 26, 1834 in Rensselaerville. Parthenia died sometime shortly after 1850, she was living in Albany at that time.
Additional Research Notes
Allen Durant Revolutionary War pension file.