Arnold Bliven was born on February 7, 1757 at Westerly, Washington Co., RI, a son of Edward and Ann Bliven
He entered the service in December of 1775 in the 2nd Company of militia in the town of Westerly, Washington Co., RI serving under Captain John Gavet in Col. Noyes’s regiment until April of 1777. He reenlisted and served for a period of two years until 1780, during which time he was promoted to Captain.
Marriage & Children
He married Mary (Polly) Willcox, a daughter of Joseph Willcox on December 31, 1789 in Washington County, RI and had the following known children:
- Joshua Bliven b. July 25, 1790, died July 9, 1849 at Saratoga, had a daughter named Harriet
- Joseph Bliven b. January 31, 1792
- Nancy Bliven b. March 6, 1794
- Arnold Bliven b. February 24, 1796
- Charles Ross Bliven b. February 12, 1799, named in his father’s will
- Isaac Ross Bliven b. February 27, 1801
- Desire Bliven b. April 21, 1803, married Augustus S. Cross
- Ann Bliven, married Ashbel Andrews
Arnold died on January 12, 1837 at Saratoga, NY. His burial took place in the Putnam Cemetery at Saratoga. Mary died on March 22, 1847 at the home of her granddaughter, Augusta Cross, in Rensselaerville and was buried at the Scutt Cemetery there.
Arnold Bliven Will
Additional Research Notes
Arnold Bliven Revolutionary War pension file, includes his widow’s file.