Eli Miller Family Burying Ground

From Berne, NY - a Helderberg Hilltown
Jump to: navigation, search
Sept. 2006, Allen Miller

Location

At the foot of Cole Hill below the Town Road site, just to the east of Cole Hill Road within the road right of way.

History

  • 1852 - Eli Miller was buried on the farm, which was the eastern half of Lot 523.
  • 1893 - Eli's wife Anna Barton Miller was buried beside him. Their graves are the only two stones in the burying ground which at that time was on the west side of Cole Hill Road at the foot of the hill.
  • At some later time, perhaps when the road was paved, it was realigned to make it straighter; the new alignment took the road to the west of the stones and made them within the road right-of-way just a few feet from the road.
  • by 2001 - her stone was missing and his stone had been were knocked down and broken, perhaps accidentally by a snow plow or maybe by a car sliding off the road.
  • Sept 2006 - Reproduction replacement stones were made and placed through the efforts of their great great grandson Allen Miller. His brother Donald made the stones. The stones were placed a bit farther from the road then the graves actually are.

Transcription

Pictures of the stones and transcription have been posted on the Berne Historical Project web site.