William Tompkins was born on October 14, 1759 at Scarsdale, Westchester Co., NY, a son of Stephen Tompkins and Susanna Franklin.
Marriage & Children
At about 1785 in Westchester County, he married Elizabeth Ward who was born in Westchester County, NY on June 14, 1768, a daughter of Gilbert and Catherine Ward. Their known children:
- Susannah Tompkins born in 1789, married John Norris resided in Westerlo
- Gilbert Tompkins born in 1791 resided in Lyden, Lewis Co., NY
- Joshua Tompkins born in 1793 resided in Westerlo
- Stephen Tompkins born in 1795, resided in Westerlo
- Morris Tompkins born in 1798, resided in Westerlo
- Abraham Tompkins born in 1801, resided in Westerlo
- Elizabeth Tompkins born in 1804, married David Witbeck, resided in Saugerties
- Catherine Tompkins born in 1808, resided in Westerlo
William died in 1841 in Westerlo. Elizabeth died on November 16, 1850 also at Westerlo. Both were buried at the Onderdonk Cemetery at Dormansville, Albany Co., NY where many of Elizabeth’s family were buried.
William Tompkins Will
Additional Research Notes