Stafford, John Sweet
John Sweet Stafford, born March 01, 1767 in Rhode Island, the son of Rowland Stafford and Catherine Sweet. His siblings were:
- Cleveland Stafford, born Abt. 1763; died in Sandstown, Canada; married Charlotte Turner.
- Rufus Stafford, born Abt. 1769; died August 03, 1844 in Beekmantown, Clinton, New York; married Abigail Vandervort; born Abt. 1775; died May 28, 1836 in Beekmantown, Clinton, New York.
- Thankful Stafford, born 1771; married Benjamin Tanner.
- Marberry Stafford, born 1773; died in Canada; married (1) Samuel Garret; died in Ballston Springs; married (2) John Brownson 1806.
- Rowland Stafford, born September 26, 1773; died September 17, 1850 in Beekmantown, Clinton, New York; married Phebe Tabor April 14, 1796 in Mt. Tabor, Rutland, Vermont; born July 31, 1776; died August 02, 1848 in Beekmantown, Clinton, New York.
- Delilah Stafford, born 1775; married David Fish.
- Mary Stafford, born 1775; married William Downing.
- Prudence Stafford, born 1777; died November 1820; married Elias Doty.
- Charlotte Stafford, born 1779; married Joseph Barber.
Marriage & Children
John S. Stafford married 17. Sarah Doty 1787 in Vermont. Sarah Doty wasborn March 03, 1769 in Dutchess, New York; died November 1837 in Knox, Albany, New York. She was the daughter of Ormond Doty and Phebe Vail. Their 14 children were:
- Joseph Stafford, born Abt. 1783 in Albany, New York.
- Rowland Stafford, born Abt. 1785 in Albany, New York.
- Louisa Stafford, born November 15, 1787 in Berne, Albany, New York; married Jacob P. Mesick.
- John Stafford, born 1790 in Vermont; died November 1859 in New Haven, Adams, Wi; married (1) Sarah Jane Secor; married (2) Lydia.
- Elnathian Stafford, born Abt. 1791 in Knox, Albany, New York.
- Isaac Stafford, born Abt. 1793 in Rutland, Vermont; married Lydia Clarrisa Choate.
- Sarah Stafford, born January 29, 1796 in South Wallingford, Rutland, Vermont; died July 02, 1878 in Knox, Albany, New York; married (1) Philip Pitcher in Knox, Albany, New York; born January 14, 1789; died October 27, 1815; married (2) John I. Livingston in Knox, Albany, New York; born November 07, 1799; died July 15, 1829; married (3) Simon Secor in Knox, Albany, New York; born March 06, 1786 in Knox, Albany, New York; died April 09, 1850 in Knox, Albany, New York.
- Ormand Stafford, born Abt. 1798 in South Wallingford, Rutland, Vermont.
- Elias Stafford, born Abt. 1800 in Broome Center, Scholarie, New York.
- Benjamin Stafford, born Abt. 1802 in Broome Center, Scholarie, New York.
- Thomas Stafford, born Abt. 1804 in Guilderland, Albany, New York.
- Phebe Stafford, born September 17, 1806 in Guilderland, Albany, New York; died Aft. 1881; married William Taggert March 28, 1827 in Knox, Albany, New York; born September 18, 1808 in Knox, Albany, New York; died September 18, 1873 in Gallupville, Scholaire, New York.
- Aaron Stafford, born January 16, 1810 in Guilderland, Albany, New York; married Elizabeth Pier January 12, 1843 in Knox, Albany, New York. Aaron was the father of Isaac Stafford
- David Stafford, born March 19, 1812 in Guilderland, Albany, New York; married Catherine Secor January 12, 1830 in Berne, Albany, New York; born January 01, 1815 in Berne, Albany, New York.
John Sweet Stafford died March 20, 1826 in Knox, Albany, New York.
There were also some infant deaths as well. Note that 3 Staffords married Secors. Sarah found disfavor in her father's will, which leads us to believe that her three marriages were not popular. His wife Sarah was born in Dutchess County, New York in 1769 and died in Albany County, New York in 1837. They lived in Vermont for some time and then moved to the township of Knox in Albany County, New York.
from Bill Stafford(from The Doty-Doten Family in America by Ethan A. Doty (1897) parents - Ormond Doty and Phebe Vail; Sarah born in Dutchess Co, NY. John and Sarah Stafford lived in S. Wallingford, (VT) until 1797 when they moved to a farm in Knox, Albany, NY. They had 17 children, 3 died young. (from Surrogate Court, Albany, NY shows that John Stafford died March 20, 1826 and will was probated Sep 14, 1826 dividing his estate equally between his children. He was probably buried in High Point Cemetary in Knox, NY. as at least of 3 of his children are buried there. (Thomas, Aaron, David) - have written text of this will.
source - Howard Vail - message #643 - Family History.com (Doty book - lives in Albany)
[Notes from Bill Stafford] Generation No. 5
Notes for John Sweet Stafford:
The Record of his Last Will and Testament September 14th 1826
I, John Stafford of the Town of Knox in the county of Albany and State of New York considering the uncertainty of this Mortal Life and being of sound mind and perfect memory blessed be Almighty God for the same. Do make and publish this my last Will and Testament in manner and form following, that is to say
First I give and bequeath to my beloved wife Sarah one third of all my personal and real estate that I may hereafter leave for her own use and support during her natural life and after her decease, I will and order that the same one third above named of my personal and real estate be divided equally among my sons, Rowland, John, Elnathan, Isaac, Ormond, Benjamin, Thomas, Elias, Aaron and David and my daughters Sarah and Phebe to them, their heirs and assigns forever to each are equal proportion.
Second I give and bequeath all the remaining two-thirds of my real and personal estate that I may ?? or posssessed of lying in the town of Knox or elsewhere after my lawful debts shall have been paid to my sons Rowland, John, Elnathan, Issac, Ormond, Elias, Benjamin, Thomas, Aaron and David and my daughters Sarah and Phebe to them their heirs and assigns forever to be divided equally among all my sons and daughters last named, exept my son Elias and my Daughter Sarah whom I will and order that my son Elias have two shares or double the amount of any one of the others and that my daughter Sarah have fifty dollars less than anyone of the others above named. I like wise will and order that the whole of my real estate remain together and undivided as it now is for the support of my family until my youngest child arrives at lawful age.
I further will and order that what I have heretofore given to my son Joseph and my daughter Louisa be considered as their share of my Estate.
Lastly I do hereby appoint Malachi Whipple and Erastus Williams of the town of Knox sole and only Executors of this my Last Will and Testament hereby revoking all former wills by me made. In testimony whereof I have hereunto set my hand and seal this first day of March in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and twenty three.
Sealed signed published and declared by the
above named John Stafford to be his last Will
and Testament in the presence of us who have John Stafford(L.S)
heretunto subscribed our names as witnesses
in the presence of the Testater and each other
Peter (his mark) Pitcher
State of New York
Be it remembered, That on the fourteenth day of September in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and twentysix personally appeared before me T. Attwood Bridgen, Surrogate of the county of Albany aforesaid John Pitcher one of the subscribing witnesses to thewill of John Stafford late of the town of Knox in the said county deceased who being duly sworn declared that he did see the said John Stafford deceased seal and execute the instrument hereunto annexed, and impressed with the seal of office of the said surrogate which said instrument purports to be the Last Will and Testament of the said John Stafford deceased bearing date the first day of March