Duel, John W.
John Duel was born in Schoharie County, NY on January 7, 1832, a son of Lewis Duel and Elizabeth Gifford.
Marriage & Children
He married Cornelia E. Shafer who was born on December 27, 1835, a daughter of John Jost Shafer and Sabra Crandell, on June 12, 1856 at St. Paul’s Lutheran Church in Berne. They the following known children:
- William Duel born at about 1857 in Berne,  died before 1865
- Joseph P. Duel born at about 1860 at Berne
- Jerome Duel born at about 1872 at Rensselaerville
|Name:||John W. Duel|
|Place of Birth:||Schoharie, NY|
|Date of Birth:||7 Jan 1832|
|Names of Parents:||Lewis (Duel) and Elizabeth Gifford|
|Term of Enlistment:||1 year|
|Enlistment Date:||1 Sept 1864 |
|State Served:||New York|
|Wounded in Action on:||6 Apr 1865|
|Wounded at:||Petersburg, VA|
|Discharged for Disability on:||1 May 1865|
|Discharged at:||McClellan US General Hospital, Pittsburgh, PA|
|Additional Remarks: Enlisted on 6 Sept 1864 as a Private at the age of 32. " Wounded at Petersburgh April 2, 1865 in the right thigh. Discharge May 31, 1865. P.O. Address Bern Albany Co. N.Y."|
|Sources Used: 1865 census Berne, Albany Co., NY; Howell, George Rogers, History of the County of Albany, NY from 1609-1886, W. W. Munsell & Co., 1886, page 817.; Annual Report of the Adjutant-General for the State of NY for the year 1898; Town and City Registers of Men Who Served in the Civil War|
John was a farmer. He moved to Rensselaerville sometime between 1865 and 1870.  and in 1892, he was living in Madison County, NY.
Additional Research Notes
Wounded at Petersburgh April 2, 1865 in the right thigh. Discharge May 31, 1865. P.O. Address Bern Albany Co. N.Y.
- 1860 census, Berne, Albany Co., NY
- 1865 census, Berne, Albany Co., NY
- 1870 census, Rensselaerville, Albany Co., NY
- 1880 census, Rensselaerville, Albany Co., NY
- Town and City Registers of Men Who Served in the Civil War
- Annual Report of the Adjutant-General