A son of Jacob Samuel Hochstrasser and Maria Elizabeth Merselis was born on December 31, 1764 in Germany.
In July of 1781 Baltus enlisted in the Army under the command of Lt. Storm Becker and of Col. Martinus Willett. He enlisted at Schoharie for a term of 3 years, and after 2 years secured Jacob Sweet to substitute for the remainder of his term. During that 2 years, he served under Lt. Royal Bingham, Captain Joseph Harrison, Major Andrew Fink and Colonel Willett.  At the time of his enlistment, he lived in Rensselaerville . After his marriage he lived in Schenectady.
Marriage and Children
He married on March 12, 1786 at Schenectady, Catharine Achenback who was christened on May 29, 1768 at the Reformed Church in Schenectady, a daughter of Johan Peter Achenback and Annatie Settle. They had the following children:
- Elizabeth Hochstrasser who was born on October 1786 at Schenectady
- Jacob Samuel Hochstrasser who was born on July 30, 1788 at Knox
- Catherine Hochstrasser who was born on November 20, 1791
- Phillip Hochstrasser who was christened on January 20, 1794 at Guilderland
- Annatie Hochstrasser who was born on November 21, 1795 at Schenectady
- Peter Hochstrasser who was born on December 10, 1797 at Schenectady
Within 5 years of the birth of his son, Peter, Baltis took his family to the Town of South in Upper Canada where he lived the remainder of his life. 
Baltis died on March 21, 1854. The date of Catherine’s death is currently unknown. 
- Revolutionary War Pension application for Baltus Hochstrasser (5079)